Australia and New Zealand universities offer outstanding post-secondary choices for Canadian students. While these destinations are very appealing and the academic opportunities are excellent, students, advisors and parents are not always familiar with how to access the right information and assistance to consider studying in Australia or New Zealand.
GlobaLinks Learning Abroad assists students with degree abroad opportunities at more than 25 universities in Australia, New Zealand and the U.K. Our expertise has developed from our well-established relationships with our partner universities and more than 20 years of sending students abroad. These top-ranked universities have appointed us to provide you with information on living and studying at their university, and we can easily refer you to the applications and details you need in order to apply to the universities of your choice. Enrollment is ultimately determined by each institution.
We are here to provide you with a list of bundled services, including help with your housing, travel and living abroad. We will be working with you from the time you begin your search for a program until you depart for your degree abroad.
- We are financially supported by the universities so that all of our services are free to students; we assist with the application, enrollment, financial aid, and student visa process.
- Your students can apply to any of these 33 top-ranked universities and any of their programs right on our website.
- We are the central contact for students; we simplify the process by being the students’ resource center on this side of the world.
- Students receive quicker responses to all their questions via direct personal contacts. The universities trust us to give students the information they need, when they need it.
- Many of the institutions we work with are ranked within the top 500 world-wide and 7 are in the top 50.
- The university is more apt to look at an application submitted by GlobaLinks Learning Abroad, because they know it has been reviewed by our staff and is complete upon arrival.
There is a wealth of information available throughout the DegreesOverseas website. We hope this information will become your reference tools when counselling students about their study options in Australia and New Zealand.
We invite you to contact us at anytime if you would like to meet with a GlobaLinks Learning Abroad staff member or need more information.
Our student assistance and support begins from the first point of inquiry to their return to Canada. To find out more about our organization and how we assist students, click here. For students applying to do a degree in Australia and New Zealand, all of our services are free to students.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Because students’ health and safety is paramount to GlobaLinks Learning Abroad, we provide students with 24 hour support while they are studying in Australia and New Zealand through our South Pacific Educational Support Centre in Australia. In addition, GlobaLinks Learning Abroad has a comprehensive Emergency Response Plan should any kind of emergency occur.
STUDYINGY IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND
1. Systems of Education
The Australian and New Zealand systems of education are based on the British System. Students can enter most professional degree areas such as Law, Medicine, Psychology, etc. directly from Secondary School. In addition, most Bachelor Degrees are 3 years duration, with the exception of many of the professional degrees.
Entry requirements vary according to the program and university. Entry is based on Year 12 results and the requirements for a general degree can be around 65-70% average and much higher for more specialized programs. International Baccalaureate and Advanced Placement results are also recognized.
2. How to Begin
Students need to create their own MyLearn profile. This will provide a Log-in facility for students to save any program searches they do in their own ‘filing cabinet’. They can use this resource to compare programs and universities which will help them select the right program for their future career goals.
3. Search for Degrees and Programs
The choices available for Bachelor Degrees are vast and varied. Use our Degree Finder to search for programs of interest and the universities that offer them. Students can seek our help at anytime if they need assistance to select the programs or universities that are right for them.
4. How to Apply
Students can apply directly online on the DegreesOverseas website and detailed instructions are provided. Students send transcripts and any other required documentation to GlobaLinks Learning Abroad and we process the application and enrolment for them.
- Most applications are on a rolling admissions basis, so students usually receive an answer from the university within 4-6 weeks.
- Students can apply up to a year in advance of their program start date. If students have not yet graduated Year 12, they can, in some instances, be made a Conditional Offer.
- A Letter of Offer will be issued by the university if the student has been accepted and GlobaLinks Learning Abroad will assist the student to formally accept the place.
- The Academic Year is based on a calendar year. Semester 1 is February to June and Semester 2 is July to November. Programs have varying start dates and may also run on a trimester basis. Bond University runs all programs on a trimester basis; January, May or September.
- Application Deadlines. We encourage students to apply well in advance of their proposed start date.
January start Application deadline is October 1
February start Application deadline is November 1
May start Application deadline is February 1
July start Application deadline is April 1
September start Application deadline is June 1
5. Pre-Departure Process
Once the student formally accepts the university place, the university issues a Confirmation of Enrolment. GlobaLinks Learning Abroad will then assist students through the pre-departure requirements:
- Student Visa
- Health Insurance
- Housing Options
- Travel Arrangements
We understand that parents may have a different set of questions and concerns about their students studying in Australia and New Zealand. We are very happy to talk with students and respond to any questions they may have.
Phone Toll-free: 1-800-980-0033
Please contact us for any assistance you may need. Also contact us if you would like to request the following:
- If you would like us to visit your school and give a presentation
- Host a ‘virtual’ information session
- Inquire about taking a site visit to universities in Australia or New Zealand.
Visit www.globalinksabroad.org for information on our semester abroad, short course, and internship program options.
Back to top