Australia, New Zealand and the U.K. are growing in popularity as a university destination for U.S. high school students, largely due to the high quality of education combined with affordable costs. And in today’s global workforce, firsthand international experience is a benefit on any graduate’s resume, whether they plan to start a career or continue on to graduate school.
GlobaLinks Learning Abroad provides information about degree abroad opportunities at more than 35 universities in Australia, New Zealand and the U.K. Our expertise has developed from our well-established relationships with our partner universities and more than 20 years of sending students abroad. These top-ranked universities have appointed us to provide you with the information you need to make the most informed decision about a university as well as to provide you with a range of services to make your transition overseas to your campus as easy as possible.
Enrollment is ultimately determined by each university. Our role is to provide you with a range of options and free advice while you explore your degree options overseas.
Like all college recruiters, we are available to visit your school, answer program and admissions information, and supply all admissions materials.
- We function as an unbiased advisor helping students and their advisors in identifying universities and programs that best meet a student's needs.
- Students and advisors can call or email at any point for assistance.
- Completed applications are sent to our office. Once received, an Degree Coordinator continues to assist students for the duration of the admissions and enrolment phases until the time they depart.
- Students can apply for U.S. Financial Aid as well as receive assistance with accommodation, accepting an offer, immigration visas, and travel.
- GlobaLinks Learning Abroad and all universities offer in-country orientation programs and staff assistance to ensure all students transition successfully.
- We also build customized short courses for faculty who want to take students overseas.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, YOU CAN:
Our student assistance and support begins from the first point of inquiry to their return to the U.S. To find out more about our organization and how we assist students, click here. For students applying to do a degree in Australia and New Zealand, all of our services are free to students.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Because students’ health and safety is paramount to GlobaLinks Learning Abroad, we provide students with 24 hour support while they are studying in Australia and New Zealand through our South Pacific Educational Support Center in Australia. In addition, GlobaLinks Learning Abroad has a comprehensive Emergency Response Plan should any kind of emergency occur.
STUDYING IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND
1. Systems of Education
The Australian and New Zealand systems of education are based on the British System. Students can enter most professional degree areas such as Law, Medicine, Psychology, etc. directly from Secondary School. In addition, most Bachelor Degrees are 3 years duration, with the exception of many of the professional degrees.
Entry requirements vary according to the program and university. Entry is based on high school GPA and the requirements for a general degree can be around 2.5-3.0 average and much higher for more specialized programs. International Baccalaureate and Advanced Placement results are also recognized.
2. How to Begin
Students need to create their own MyLearn profile. This will provide a Log-in facility for students to save any program searches they do in their own ‘filing cabinet’. They can use this resource to compare programs and universities which will help them select the right program for their future career goals.
3. Search for Degrees and Programs
The choices available for Bachelor Degrees are vast and varied. Use our Degree Finder to search for programs of interest and the universities that offer them. Students can seek our help at anytime if they need assistance to select the programs or universities that are right for them.
4. How to Apply
Students can apply online on the DegreesOverseas website and detailed instructions are provided. Students send transcripts and any other required documentation to our office and we process the application and enrolment for them.
- Most applications are on a rolling admissions basis, so students usually receive an answer from the university within 4-6 weeks.
- Students can apply up to a year in advance of their program start date. If students have not yet graduated high school, they can, in some instances, be made a Conditional Offer.
- A Letter of Offer will be issued by the university if the student has been accepted and GlobaLinks Learning Abroad will assist the student to formally accept the place.
- The Academic Year is based on a calendar year. Semester 1 is February to June and Semester 2 is July to November. Programs have varying start dates and may also run on a trimester basis. Bond University runs all programs on a trimester basis; January, May or September.
- Application Deadlines. We encourage students to apply well in advance of their proposed start date.
January start Application deadline is October 1
February start Application deadline is November 1
May start Application deadline is February 1
July start Application deadline is April 1
September start Application deadline is June 1
5. Pre-Departure Process
Once the student formally accepts the university place, the university issues a Confirmation of Enrolment. GlobaLinks Learning Abroad will then assist students through the pre-departure requirements:
- Student Visa
- Health Insurance
- Housing Options
- Travel Arrangements
We understand that parents may have a different set of questions and concerns about their students studying in Australia and New Zealand. We are very happy to talk with students and respond to any questions they may have.
Phone Toll-free: 1-800-980-0033
Visit www.globalinksabroad.org for information on our semester abroad, short course, and internship program options.