Transferability Resources for American Students

    An important consideration when choosing to study abroad is how your qualifications from an overseas university will transfer back to the U.S.

    In most cases, qualifications from Australia, New Zealand and the U.K. transfer readily. However, requirements to practice vary, and we recommend you contact the respective accrediting or licensing body in the U.S. for your chosen profession to ascertain registration requirements.


    World Education Services

    Upon your return to North America, potential U.S. employers may request that your diploma from the Australian or New Zealand university be evaluated for equivalency of programs within your home country. Likewise, if you wish to further your education within the U.S., domestic universities may request an equivalency report, which demonstrates how your education compares with U.S. studies.

    World Education Services(WES) is the leading source of international education intelligence. WES is a not for profit organization with over thirty years’ experience evaluating international credentials. WES has the world’s largest database of institutions, courses and degrees, so providing a WES evaluation enables U.S. employers & institutions to review your application faster.

    WES provides more than 50,000 evaluations each year that are accepted by thousands of academic institutions, employers, licensing and certification boards and government agencies in the U.S.


    Applications for evaluation can be lodged online or on paper.

    WES in the US:
    Telephone: 212-966-6311
    Fax: 212-739-6100

    Postal Address

    Bowling Green Station
    P.O. Box 5087
    New York, NY 10274-5087 

    Courier Address*
    64 Beaver St, #146
    New York, NY 10004


    *This is a courier mail handling facility accepting DHL, FedEx, UPS, etc. Documents should not be hand delivered.


    To help you, we have compiled contact information for a selection of professions in the United States: 

    Architecture National Architecture Accrediting Board (NAAB)

    Architecture programs completed in Australia are now transferable according to the Canberra Accord. The Accord is an agreement between a group of countries, including Australia, Canada, and the U.S. declaring equivalency of professional degrees in architecture covered by their accreditation/validation systems. Students who graduate from a professional architecture program after January 1, 2010 can transfer their degree back to the U.S. and Canada. In the past, the NAAB of the U.S. required that all architecture degrees be completed in the U.S. in order to be licensed as an architect.

    Counseling American Counseling Association (ACA).  
    Each state has their own licensing process and generally requires that you take an exam and have either a Master's or Doctorate of Counseling degree.

    Dentistry American Dental Association (ADA)  

    Law - Each state has different requirements. Please consult your State Bar Association and the American Bar Association  

    Medicine Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates  

    Nursing National Council of State Boards of Nursing  

    Occupational Therapy National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy  

    American Optometric Association

    Physical Therapy American Physical Therapy Association (APTA).

    Social Work Council on Social Work Education  

    Speech Language Pathology - American Speech-Language-Hearing Association 

    Each state and often individual school districts have different requirements. You should confirm with the school district where you intend to teach. Requirements may vary based on elementary, middle or high school, subject, teaching at a private, public or charter school. Contact your state’s Dept of Education to begin the process.

    Veterinary Science American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).


    At this time, ISA does not recommend U.S. students undertake the following programs:

    Bachelor of Pharmacy – due to licensing requirements in the U.S.
    Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)  
    National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP)  

    Master of Clinical or Counseling Psychology - entrance is extremely difficult and lengthy. It requires evaluation of all prior education by the Australian Psychological Society for an additional cost and, once completed, the degree will be difficult to transfer back to the U.S. 


    U.S. Department of Education

    The U.S. Department of Education has put together resources for students who complete their education overseas: 


    Cricos Information

    The Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) is an Australian government register that lists all Australian education providers offering courses to people studying in Australia on student visas, and the courses offered.

    The Australian Government established CRICOS to ensure the quality of the programs administered by the institutions in Australia.  All of the universities must have CRICOS approval on their degree programs to receive funding from the government.

     For more information, visit the website at

    Back to top