Transferability Resources

    An important consideration when choosing to pursue a degree overseas is how your qualifications from an overseas university will transfer back to Canada. In most cases, qualifications from Australia, New Zealand and the U.K. transfer readily, however requirements to practice vary. We recommend you contact the respective accrediting or licensing body in Canada for their your chosen profession to ascertain registration requirements.

    To help you, we have compiled contact information for a select group of professions. Also, we recommend you visit the website for the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials at where you will find additional information about the transfer of qualifications and also the Foreign Credentials Referral Office (FCRO) at The FCRO was created to assist in the assessment and recognition of international qualifications. 



    Upon your return to North America, potential Canadian employers may request that your award/diploma from the Australian or New Zealand university be evaluated for equivalency of programs within your home country. Likewise, if you wish to further your education within Canada, domestic universities may request an equivalency report, which demonstrates how your education compares with Canadian studies.

    World Education Services (WES) is the leading source of international education intelligence. WES is a not for profit organization with over thirty years’ experience evaluating international credentials. WES has the world’s largest database of institutions, courses and degrees, so providing a WES evaluation enables Canadian employers & institutions to review your application faster.

    WES provides more than 50,000 evaluations each year that are accepted by thousands of academic institutions, employers, licensing and certification boards and government agencies in Canada.

    Applications for evaluation can be lodged online or on paper.

    WES in Canada:
    Telephone: 416-972-0070416-972-0070
    Toll free: 866-343-0070866-343-0070 FREE
    Fax: 416-972-9004

    Postal Address
    World Education Services
    45 Charles Street East, Suite 700
    Toronto, Ontario M4Y 1S2







    Accountants Chartered Accountants of Canada
    Architects Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB)
    Chemists Chemical Institute of Canada (CIC)
    Chiropractors Canadian Chiropractic Examining Boards (CCEB)
    Dentists/Dental Surgeons National Dental Examining Board of Canada (NDEB)
    Engineers Engineers Canada
    Lawyers Federation of Law Societies of Canada (FLSC)
    Medical Doctors Medical Council of Canada (MCC)
    Occupational Therapists Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT)
    Optometrists Accreditation Council on Optometric Education 
    Pharmacists Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (PEBC)
    Physiotherapists Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators (CAPR)
    Psychologists Canadian Psychological Association (CPA)
    Registered Nurses Canadian Nurses Association (CNA)
    Social Workers Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW)
    Speech Therapists Canadian Association of Speech Language Pathologists and Audiologists
    Veterinarians Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA)




    Assessment of qualifications for foreign-trained teachers is done by each provincial or territorial office.

    Alberta Teaching, Teacher Certification and Development
    British Columbia college of Teachers (BCCT)
    Dept. of Education, Training and Youth, Professional Certification (Manitoba)
    Dept. of Education, Office of Teacher Certification - New Brunswick
    Dept. of Education, Registrar of Teacher Certification - Newfoundland/Labrador
    Dept. of Education, Culture and Employment, (School) Board Operations, Northwest Territories

    Dept. of Education, Teacher Certification - Nova Scotia
    Dept. of Education, Nunavut
    Ontario College of Teachers (OCT)
    Dept. of Education, Registrar's Office - Prince Edward Island
    Quebec - Ministere de l'Education, Direction de la formation et de la titularisation du personnel scolaire
    Saskatchewan Education, Student and Teacher Services
    Dept. of Education, Yukon



     The Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) is an Australian government register that lists all Australian education providers offering courses to people studying in Australia on student visas, and the courses offered.

    The Australian Government established this to ensure the quality of the programs administered by the institutions in Australia.  All of the universities must have CRICOS approval on their degree programs to receive funding from the government. 

    Back to Top